Alibaba Group encouraged Chinese consumers to buy more stuff from international merchants during its just-ended 11.11 Global Shopping Festival, but the e-commerce giant also sought to make the 24-hour online sale more global by drawing bargain-hunters from all over the world via AliExpress, the company’s international B2C marketplace.
Following the close of its 11.11 sale, AliExpress today had solid numbers to report. The marketplace, which provides China-based merchants and manufacturers with an online platform to sell directly to countries including the U.S. and Russia, said it processed 21.2 million paid orders during the sale, more than triple the 6.8 million orders processed during the 11.11 festival last year.
Here’s a rundown of other AliExpress metrics from 11.11.
- Consumers from 212 countries and regions placed orders in the 24-hour period.
- The top 10 countries ranked by total spending (GMV) were Russia, Spain, the U.S., Israel, Ukraine, Belarus, France, Chile, the U.K., and Canada.
- Mobile GMV accounted for 40 percent of total GMV. (AliExpress did not disclose total GMV.)
- The AliExpress mobile app for iPhones was the most popular way to place orders in 75 countries during the sale. The AliExpress mobile app for Android was the most popular in 46 countries.
- In Russia, Spain and Israel, the AliExpress app was the most popular shopping app at both the Apple Store and at Google Play.
- Ranked by GMV, the most popular product categories were apparel and accessories; phones and telecommunications; jewelry and watches; consumer electronics; home and garden; sports and entertainment; computer and office; mother and kids; beauty and health; automobiles and motorcycles.
- In Russia the top five product categories were apparel and accessories; phones and telecommunications; home and garden; consumer electronics; beauty and health.
- In Spain the top five product categories were apparel and accessories; phones and telecommunications; sports and entertainment; consumer electronics; jewelry and watches.
- In the U.S. the top five product categories were apparel and accessories; hair care and accessories; jewelry and watches; sports and entertainment; home and garden.